The Unique Castle in Tarpum Bay, Eleuthera, was formerly the home of Artist Gordon MacMillan- Hughes and was featured in Fodor's Travel guide. Beautifully renovated and modernised in 2012 it still retains the original stained glass windows and decorative doors with a spiral staircase...
We stayed in the castle from June 7th through July 5th. The owners were very easy to deal with and we are very happy that we picked Tarpum Bay, Eleuthera, and the Castle. Tarpum Bay is a great little town. Friendly locals, good food, and we felt 100% safe. We rented a car and made it as far south as Lighthouse beach and as far north as the Harbour Island ferry dock. Tarpum Bay is centrally located enough to make all of Eleuthera accessible.The castle underwent a major renovation a few years ago, so you have the opportunity to stay in a really neat place without giving up any modern amenities. The Internet was fast enough for my son to watch movies in the evening, the AC worked well, the kitchen has everything you will need and most of the appliances are essentially brand new.
Overall our vacation was flawless and a great experience. Before mentioning the rental, here are some travel tips:
1. Be prepared to get in slow motion mode. Nothing happens quickly here.
2. Most stores are closed on Sunday. This includes restaurants, grocery stores, gas stations, etc.
3. The no-see-ums and mosquitos are mean.
4. If you fly Bahama-Air, plan on you flight being delayed. Apparently they are know for delays. So be careful scheduling if you need to have connecting flights.
5. Bring cash. Many place are cash only. This even includes many car rentals.
As for the house, it was in great condition and was well equipped. All we needed to do was stock the fridge. The beach area behind the house was great although the shoreline is somewhat rocky. We were completely alone on the beach the entire time we were there. This gave us the opportunity to do whatever we wanted ;-)