Fraud Prevention TipsVacationHomeRentals.com is not a property management company and we do not inspect the properties that list on our website. While fraud is extremely rare, it can happen. The tips below are intended to help travelers avoid fraud.
- Fraud warning signs include an unusually low price, uncertainty regarding the exact property location, or any suspicious behavior of the property owner or manager.
- If possible, pay with a credit card. Credit cards typically offer protection in the event that your accommodation is not supplied as promised.
- If paying by Check or Money Order, take additional precautions and try to avoid using wire transfers.
- Proceed very cautiously if you must make an international payment using a money order or wire transfer.
- Speak to the owners/managers on the telephone versus strictly email.
- Ask for references from past renters.
- Request the street address of the property rented and look it up on one of the internet based map sites, such as mapquest.com or google maps.
- Ask the owner where else the property is advertised on the Internet and for how long.
- Never give out personal financial information (bank account number, social security number, etc.)