A Vacationer's Guide To Road Maps
Posted by: Karen Fowler
Maps have been used for many, many years. The most commonly used maps are roads maps. And, of course there are many other forms of maps that people use as well, but road maps are the most widely used type of map. Whether you are planning a vacation or you are on vacation, you tend to usually often use maps. Road maps help us navigate unfamiliar places. Whether it may be an electronic map, the GPS application on your smart phone, a separate GPS unit mounted on the dash of your car, or the old fashion paper maps that you stash in your front glove department.
Road maps are maps that basically show all transport links and roads instead of physical geography information. They come in all sorts of sizes, single pages, multiple pages, and shapes. Road maps are navigational maps and tend to include political boundaries, also making it a type of political map. Road maps also include other great features such as tourist sites, recreational facilities, parks, businesses, buildings, places to eat, train stations, and airports. All of these points of interest, which in many people's eyes, may be important and informational.
There are also different kinds of road maps. There are three different kinds of road maps: highway maps, street maps, and road atlases. Highway maps usually give an outline of the major routes within a medium to large area, that range from a few dozen miles to a few thousand miles or kilometers. Street maps tend to outline an area of an extended metropolitan area or within a city. Then there are specialized forms of street maps called city maps. Last but not least, there are road atlases. I'm sure you may have seen them at gas stations. They are a collection of road maps that cover a region that are as large as a continent or as small as a city. They are usually bound together by spiral binding. They are pretty heavy-duty to prevent any wear or tear.
- MapQuest.com - A very popular website used for driving directions and maps. You can also see local traffic, road conditions, businesses, restaurants, and explore their street maps.
- Yahoo Maps - Another popular website for maps. This website also provides driving directions. Reviews say that this site offers the "best mapping experience". You can be the judge of that!
- Google Maps - This is one of my personal favorites. You can find local businesses, restaurants, view maps, and get driving directions as well.
- Road Maps - This is just a cool website that shows interesting and cool road maps that were issued by oil companies. Many people actually collect road maps as a hobby.
- US Road Map - An online visual of the United States and it's highway networks.
- Bing Maps - An interactive map site that has turn by turn driving directions, traffic information, information on road conditions, and street maps.
- Detailed Road Map Of The US - This site provides highway maps of the United States.
- Maps Of The US - Travel Maps - This page not only provides highway maps but also other maps with useful information.
- US Map Collections Of All 50 States - This page provides not only road maps but other great maps as well for all 50 states.
- Free State Maps - A list of free map resources.
- USA Road Map - A very large, online visual of the US road map.
- Road Map Collectors Association - A collectors association for road maps!