Vacationer's Guide To The Eiffel Tower
Posted by: Karen Fowler
The Eiffel Tower is an iconic landmark that most people have seen in movies, T.V., and in books. People love it because you can see almost all of the beautiful city of Paris, France and understand why it's such an important and loved city. It's a site people go to from all around the world so they can say "I've been to the Eiffel Tower and it was amazing" and tell their story for years to come. Just like the Grand Canyon, the Statue of Liberty, and the Golden Gate Bridge, the Eiffel Tower is more than just a landmark - it's an experience, and for the people in France it is their pride and joy. There's a lot to know beforehand if you decide to visit this icon, so make sure to go prepared and know what to expect.
The Eiffel Tower was built in 1889 by engineer Gustave Eiffel. When it was unveiled during the Paris World's Fair in 1889 it was the tallest building in the world. Even though many buildings are now taller than the Paris landmark, it is still one of the tallest and most popular buildings to visit. When Gustave Eiffel first made plans to build this tower, other people said it would be too ugly and expensive to build. He knew better and with his team they built it in about two years.
France is a country in Europe and is right near other countries like England, Spain, and Italy. Even though some people there do speak English, you will have a much easier time in France if you can speak their language! Even learning how to say hello, goodbye, thank you, and other basics in their language would be helpful.
It is very important to get tickets to view the tower in advance! There have been stories of people going to visit the Eiffel Tower, only to wait in line for hours just because they didn't plan in advance. You don't want to miss out on this. Once you get to the tower you can choose to walk to almost the top or take an elevator. At the top, there is a small apartment room that the creator, Gustave Eiffel, requested be made for him when he made the original plans. Remember to bring a camera so you can take a lot of pictures and remember the visit! You don't want to forget all the great things you will see. There are restaurants in the tower so you can eat and have a great view.
Because the Eiffel Tower is so popular and a lot of people visit it each year, there is a lot to keep you busy in the rest of the city. There are neat stores close by where you can get shirts, souvenirs, toys, and other cool things to help you remember your adventure! Do you like trying new food? France is known for having tons of great food choices that anyone will enjoy and it's not just cheese and bread. France is known for making some of the best pies and pastries in the world.
The Eiffel Tower may be the coolest thing to do in France, but there are still other things worth seeing. There are huge castles that show off old weapons and armor, boat rides all around, pretty parks to play in, museums with great art and history, and tons more. The adventure is yours to make! What do you like doing? Paris is a big city with a lot to do so you definitely won't be bored.
You probably still have a lot of questions about France and the Eiffel Tower - it's a big place with lots to do! See what other good internet sites and smart people are saying about this icon, and maybe you will have a better idea of where you want to go and what you want to do. What adventures do you want to take when you visit the legendary city of France and the awesome Eiffel Tower? This can be the experience of a lifetime.
- PBS History of the Eiffel Tower: Get all of the basic facts and history about the Eiffel Tower on this page.
- Eiffel Tower Facts: The numbers and stats behind the landmark are listed on this page from National Geographic.
- Places of Interest: The Eiffel Tower: This article from TLC talks about why the Eiffel tower is it such a popular vacation spot.
- The Floors of the Tower: Learn about the parts of the Eiffel Tower directly from the people who manage it!
- Eiffel Tower, France: Find answers to questions about the Eiffel Tower, including why it was built in France.
- Eiffel Tower Puzzles: This fun puzzle lets you complete a picture of the Eiffel Tower piece by piece.
- How Tall Is the Eiffel Tower?: This page has a video showing exactly what you would see on the elevator.
- The Eiffel Tower, Paris, France: A lot of information on the Eiffel Tower is available on this resource.
- Eiffel Tower Facts: This list of facts about the Eiffel Tower includes everything from how much it weighs to its nickname.
- Paris, The Eiffel Tower: find out about Paris's most well-known landmark, the Eiffel Tower, on this page.
- Eiffel Tower Info: Lots of fun information can be found on this colorful webpage.
- Building the Eiffel Tower: The History Channel provides an interesting video about the building of the famous monument.
- Eiffel Tower Quick Facts: This page has some quick and easy to read facts about the Eiffel Tower.
- Eiffel's Towers: When Alexandre Gustave Eiffel decided to build the Eiffel Tower, the people in France were not happy.
- Eiffel Tower Height: Find out how tall the tower is, how long it took to build, and more on this page.