Black Hills Travel Tips
For those looking for an exciting, adventurous place to go on vacation with their family, the Black Hills in South Dakota is the perfect place. The Black Hills boasts six national parks, hundreds of miles of byways, and dozens of things for children, parents and extended family to do together. There are also plenty of Black Hills cabin rentals available to accommodate you and your family, making it a great vacation get-away. Black Hills rental cabins can be a great choice for families. Properties available for rent by owner offer the comforts of home, meaning that Black Hills rentals will include conveniences like your own kitchen. A rental property can save you money as well.
If you have never been to the Black Hills in SD, there are some travel tips you should know. If you are flying, the closest airport is the Rapid City Regional Airport. There are also car rentals available at the airport and shuttle service to get you to your destination. If you are driving, the Black Hills is located right on Interstate 90. Once you get to the Black Hills and are ready to start your adventure, there are many opportunities for sightseeing tours by bus and passenger van. Visitors can start their vacation off right by leaving their Black Hills rentals and getting a lay of the land with one of these tours, some of which can be booked ahead of time online. From there, people staying in Black Hills vacation rentals can decide what they want to spend money exploring further and where they?d rather save.
By staying in a local Black Hills cabin rental, you will be close to some of the most popular attractions in South Dakota:
- The amazing man-made monument Mount Rushmore National Memorial honors four of the most prominent American presidents: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, and Theodore Roosevelt. In seeing Mount Rushmore, your family will be among the thousands of visitors who come to see one of the nation’s favorite attractions each year.
- Your family won’t want to miss out on the Museum of Geology located on the campus of South Dakota School of Mines and Technology in Rapid City. Admission to the museum is free, and guided tours are available to help you learn all about the skeletons of dinosaurs, mammoths, and marine reptiles that are on display.
- Custer State Park is more than 71,000 acres in size, making it one of the country’s largest state parks. Many families love driving through the park, where the sight of buffalo, elk, mountain goats, and other wildlife is common. There are also many historic sites and plenty of wide open spaces for hiking, fishing, and camping. If you’re staying in one of the available Black Hills rental cabins for rent by owner, it might be nice to rough it, just for one night, and sleep under the big sky.
Other popular attractions include:
- Reptile Gardens
- Crazy Horse Memorial
- Devils Tower National Monument
- Petrified Forest of the Black Hills
- The Flintstones Bedrock City Theme Park
Along with the many attractions the Black Hills have to offer, the area is also home to many events taking place throughout the year. Most of them are held in the spring and summer months, so you will want to book your Black Hills vacation rentals early in the year if you plan on attending the Kids’ Fair in April or the Free Fishing Weekend in May. Throughout the summer months, the Black Hills also holds Fourth of July Celebrations, an Art Festival in the Park, and Laura Ingalls Day.
Black Hills cabin rentals go fast, so if you are thinking about going to South Dakota, be sure to reserve cabin rentals in Black Hills, SD, soon. Get started on planning your fun, adventurous family vacation today.