Boulder, Colorado Travel Tips
A short jump outside of Denver, Boulder is nestled in the picturesque valley of the iconic Flatirons in the foothills of the Rockies. It has 300 days or more of sunshine and around 45,000 acres of open country to enjoy it. Between Boulder Creek, downtown Boulder (which is developing into a foodie's favorite destination), gorgeous historical architecture, and a thriving biking and hiking culture, it's no wonder that vacation rentals in Boulder, CO, are one of the best ways to enjoy a family vacation here. Rent one of our Boulder vacation rentals by owner online today and save, ensuring your family will have a unique and memorable trip.
This guide will help you start planning your adventure and find the right rental for you. Boulder house rentals can set the tone of your vacation and give you a launching point that means you won't miss a moment of fun.
- The Hill Review: If you've got older kids, this is a perfect neighborhood for Boulder, CO, vacation rentals. Just across Broadway from Colorado University, students of all ages enjoy boutique stores, coffee shops, and music venues.
- Historic Districts: There are two. While the Mapleton Historic District features early-20th-century homes and quiet streets below cottonwood and maple trees perfect for Boulder vacation rentals, the Downtown Historic District features Italianate, Romanesque and Queen Ann style mercantile and saloon architecture and modern interiors. Downtown is a cheerfully bustling area full of chic stores and amazing restaurants.
- Pearl Street: The heart of modern Boulder, it offers an eclectic blend of shopping, cafes, art galleries, street performers, and an open-air mall. Boulder, Colorado, rentals near this neighborhood will keep a relaxing day out nearby.
Things to Do
Boulder has no shortage of sights, activities, and attractions. It's perfectly located for day trips to Denver and, depending on the season, white-water rafting or skiing and snowboarding. Choosing the right Boulder, Colorado, rentals will put all of the action in reach while still giving your family the down time they need. Don't miss the city's bike share, either -- you'll find it's not only greener but it's the way most Boulder residents like to get around.
- Kid-focused: Any trip in April should include the Tulip Fairy & Elf Festival on Pearl Street, featuring a parade, stage performances, and free activities like face-painting, foam-sword duels, and cookie decorating. Similarly, for Halloween, there's the Munchkin Masquerade.
- Festivals: For Memorial Day weekend, there's the Boulder Creek Fest, which has a pancake breakfast, sprawling bazaar, and the Great Rubber Duck Race for kids. The Colorado Music Festival runs from the end of June to mid-August, as does the Colorado Shakespeare Festival.
- Outdoors: Chautauqua Park is a favorite for hiking, biking, and picnicking, as well as a great place to catch live music or a silent film. El Dorado State Park is home to beautiful trails with amazing vistas, plus the rapids and wall-climbing of South Boulder Creek.
- Museums: The Boulder History Museum is in the 1899 Harbeck-Bergheim mansion, or there's the Boulder Museum of Contemporary Art near downtown. The Fiske Planetarium and Science Center offer laser shows on Fridays through the fall and spring and family matinees on select Saturdays.
When to Visit
The wonderful thing is that it's always sunny, and Boulder has a little something for everyone no matter when they plan to book their Boulder, Colorado, vacation rentals. If you're visiting in winter, keep in mind that the snow, while great for the slopes, will likely cause flight and traffic delays. Most festivals are geared toward warmer months, i.e., May through September, and that's the best time for activities involving wildlife. Two things to keep in mind, especially for active hikers and bikers: Boulder is very dry, so be sure you've got plenty of water; and temperatures will not only vary by altitude but by time of day, so make sure you've got warm clothes even if you choose summer vacation rentals. Boulder, CO, will not disappoint!