Greenville, Maine Travel Tips
Greenville, Maine, sits on the edge of Moosehead Lake. This small community offers visitors many choices in outdoor and indoor family activities. When visiting Greenville, explore the many Greenville homes for rent available in the area. Turn to Vacation Home Rentals to browse Greenville rental properties available for rent by owner and save money. Your New England vacation wouldn’t be complete without a stop in Greenville to experience this unique area!
Greenville serves as the gateway to northern Maine. Visitors can enjoy an invigorating variety of outdoor recreation options in this area. The town offers Greenville rental homes to fit any style and budget. A municipal airport serves the community. Visitors can fly into Bangor International Airport, located about 70 miles southeast of Greenville. Then, find plentiful options for Greenville homes for rent.
Residential areas in the city offer houses for rent in Greenville, ME, for visiting families. Other rental options include cottages, waterfront cabins, condominiums, and single-family homes. Many Greenville rental homes we offer will give you quick access to attractions in Greenville.
- Moosehead Lake: Moosehead Lake is the largest lake in the state of Maine. Water sports on the lake include boating, kayaking, fishing, and swimming. Those with an adventurous spirit might try whitewater rafting. Shuttles transport visitors from downtown Greenville to the water for full-day whitewater rafting trips. Winter activities include ice-fishing, ice-skating, and ice-racing on the lake. In the area, try snowmobiling, dog-sledding, snowshoeing, and cross-country skiing.
- Moose-Watching Tours: Wild moose are abundant in the Greenville area, but these animals can be shy, so it helps to know where to find them. Visitors can observe them in their natural habitat with a moose-watching tour. On a tour, your family can learn about the wildlife in the area and even watch and photograph moose in their native habitat. Some tours involve hiking, and others travel by canoe.
- Moosehead Lake Aviation Museum: The Moosehead region has a long history of aviation. A visit to the Moosehead Lake Aviation Museum will educate young and old visitors alike. The museum has exhibits that feature private and commercial aviators of the region. Vintage air craft are also on exhibit. Museum exhibits change yearly.
Many of our Greenville rentals offer easy access to entertaining events scheduled throughout the year. Save these dates: Time your stay in one of our homes for rent in Greenville, ME, to enable you to attend a great Greenville event!
- Moose Mania Festival: For a month during the spring, Greenville celebrates Moose Mania with a festival. The timing of Moose Mania coordinates with the time of the year when area moose are most active and visible. Activities include an annual moose photo contest, moose safaris, and guided bird tours. Take part in canoe races and scavenger hunts, and drop by the craft fair, too.
- Fourth of July Festival: Celebrate America’s birthday in Greenville by attending the annual Fourth of July Festival. Attend a craft fair, parade, games, and a fireworks display at dusk over Moosehead Lake.
- Forest Heritage Days: During the second week of August, Greenville hosts the Forest Heritage Days. Families can enjoy a craft fair, logging games, wood tours, and exhibits. You can even watch professional loggers compete in a logging contest.
- Sea Plane Fly-in: Visit Greenville on the weekend following Labor Day for an annual fly-in. Enjoy exhibits, crafts, and food vendors. Hundreds of airplanes fly in and out of the airport throughout the weekend.
- Snofest: Enjoy the best of New England winter in February at Snofest in Greenville. Snofest festivities include ice races, dog sled races, and a snowmobile “snodeo.” Enjoy a chili contest and a chocolate festival, too.