Hampton Roads Vacation Rentals, Homes, & More
3 Bedrooms / 1 Bathroom / Sleeps 12
Hampton Roads, Virginia, Travel Tips
With its rich local history, seaside attractions, and coastal Southern charm, the Hampton Roads, VA, region is the perfect place for a family vacation! Visitors interested in Hampton Roads rentals have many locations from which to choose. Because of its ideal location, rentals in Hampton Roads tend to book up pretty fast. Be sure to schedule your visit online ahead of time to make your vacation go as smoothly as possible. Families will find that rental homes leased by owner are guaranteed to be clean, comfortable, and spacious — much better than a hotel!
Visitors staying in nearby rental homes in Hampton Roads, VA, should know that the easiest way to get around the region is by car. For non-drivers, Hampton Roads has a variety of public transportation options. In Norfolk, visitors can hop onto The Tide, Virginia's first light rail system. Virginia Beach has its own inexpensive shuttle service called the VB Wave. Tourists traveling between Norfolk and Portsmouth can take the Elizabeth River Ferry, which runs every 15 minutes during peak times. Check the schedule in advance to save time while planning your trip!
Hampton Roads is a region made up of 16 counties and cities. For families visiting Hampton Roads, rental homes are available throughout the region. Each city offers something different. Colonial Williamsburg, with its famous historical re-enactments, is perfect for history buffs. Virginia Beach offers 29 miles of white-sand beaches, along with its famous boardwalk. Newport News, Hampton, and Portsmouth boast local history museums and traditional coastal activities.
Beaches and Parks
The Hampton Roads region is home to dozens of beautiful, fun beaches and parks for families to explore. For visitors interested in exploring summer rental homes, Hampton Roads is the perfect choice.
Virginia Beach's Oceanfront is home to festivals and concerts throughout the summer. It features a 12-mile stretch of beach with a boardwalk offering food, games, and activities.
Portsmouth City Park, a 93-acre park, overlooks the Elizabeth River and Baines Creek. Kids will love Pokey Smokey, a coal-fired mini train that travels through the park.
Great Bridge Lock Park in Chesapeake is a 19-acre park with many Civil War and Revolutionary War markers. It also includes a playground, walking trail, picnic shelters, and fishing areas.
Things to Do
- There are so many activities to keep you busy while in Hampton Roads! Rentals are offered for charter fishing boats, beach cruiser bicycles, and even kayaks.
- Fishing is excellent in Hampton Roads! You can rent a charter boat or check out one of the many free fishing piers in the area.
- Boat tours are one of the most fun ways to get to know the Hampton Roads area. Choose from winter whale-watching excursions, adventure cruises, wildlife tours, and much more.
- Busch Gardens is a must for theme park fans! Voted the most beautiful theme park in the world, Busch Gardens offers a little something for everyone.
Fun with Kids
There are dozens of unique things to do with kids when visiting Hampton Roads! Rental homes offer a distinct advantage to families because they allow visitors to feel like locals. Here are a few of the top kid-friendly attractions in Hampton Roads:
- The Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Center houses more than 300 species. It also offers hands-on exhibits, educational IMAX films, marshlands, and a nature trail.
- Virginia Living Museum: This learning laboratory has more than 250 animal species on display. Interactive exhibits and hands-on discovery centers make this museum a must-see for visiting families.
- Water Parks are a great way to spend a day in Hampton Roads. There are four options within the Virginia Beach and Newport News region!
Visitors come from miles around to take part in some of the best festivals in Hampton Roads. Check out a few favorites below:
Blackbeard Pirate Festival (May): This weekend festival celebrates Hampton's relationship with the notorious pirate Blackbeard. It features live entertainment, pirate re-enactments, fireworks, sea battles, and many other kid-friendly activities.
Bayou Boogaloo & Cajun Food Festival (June): Each summer, the spirit of New Orleans is alive in Norfolk. This event features Cajun food, local artists, and free entertainment.