Makaha, Hawaii Travel Tips
Beautiful white sands, crystal-clear waters, and tons of outdoor activities make Hawaii one of the top tourist destinations in the world. Makaha, HI, located within Honolulu County, is a popular tourist spot because of its proximity to beaches and other Hawaiian attractions. Makaha vacation rentals are excellent for family vacations because they offer much more bang for your buck. Unlike hotels, Makaha beach rentals available for rent by owner from Vacation Home Rentals are spacious and private and offer the comforts of home.
Although renting a car is the easiest and most convenient way to get around the island, families staying in nearby Makaha vacation rentals will be happy to learn that Oahu is also bicycle-friendly. You can rent a bike for the day from many local shops. Public transportation is available, and you can check out the fares and passes
available online to save time.
Beaches and Parks
Families checking out our available Makaha beach rentals could also visit some of the best beaches in the area. Whether you’re drawn to kid-friendly areas or romantic, remote beaches, Hawaii has something for every family! Here are a few top choices:
- Mokuleia Beach Park features a long stretch of sandy beach and a shallow reef perfect for swimming and surfing.
- Keawaula Beach/Yokohama Bay is a remote beach located on the northernmost tip of northwest Oahu. It is a beautiful spot for those who love nature, but the high surf and rocky ocean floors can make the beach dangerous during winter months.
- Maili Beach Park is a popular location for camping, swimming, and surfing. The calm waters make it a perfect beach for families with kids.
Things to Do
Families will be astounded at how much there is to do in the Makaha region! Swim with dolphins, go deep-sea fishing, or spend some time snorkeling in one of the most beautiful places on earth.
- Specialty Rental Boat Tours: There are so many kinds of sightseeing tours available on beautiful Oahu. Swimming with the dolphins, kayaking, snorkeling, and much more are a great way to explore the island with a guide.
- Surfing and Diving: Hawaii offers some of the best locations for surfing and diving in the world. Those new to diving and surfing can check out one of the many local surfing schools and diving tours available.
- Sportfishing is quite popular on Hawaii! Waianae offers several local fishing charter boats for tourists to experience the Hawaiian ocean up close. Fish for tuna, mahimahi, and wahoo.
Hawaii is home to many annual celebrations, but these two festivals are among the best choices for those touring the area:
- The Honolulu Festival (March), located about an hour away in Honolulu, is the most popular cultural event in the region. Thousands of visitors gather each year to attend the festival and see traditional art and dance from participants all over the globe.
- The Ukulele Festival (July), also taking place in Honolulu, is an annual festival featuring some of the most talented ukulele musicians in the world.