The Unique Castle in Tarpum Bay, Eleuthera, was formerly the home of Artist Gordon MacMillan- Hughes and was featured in Fodor's Travel guide. Beautifully renovated and modernised in 2012 it still retains the original stained glass windows and decorative doors with a spiral staircase...
I have stayed at the castle twice and both times loved the experience. I have been coming to Eleuthera for many years and enjoyed living in town for a change, being able to walk everywhere and experiencing the local community. The people are friendly and welcoming and I felt very much at home. The castle itself is a romantic place to stay. It is steeped in local history and heritage, and although it looks eccentric on the outside, the inside has been modernized and is very comfortable to live in. The kitchen is large, the bathrooms clean and the bedrooms comfortable. The "garrett" room is a a once in a lifetime experience with views over the Caribbean Sea and the village. I am planning to stay there again this year.
Overall our vacation was flawless and a great experience. Before mentioning the rental, here are some travel tips:
1. Be prepared to get in slow motion mode. Nothing happens quickly here.
2. Most stores are closed on Sunday. This includes restaurants, grocery stores, gas stations, etc.
3. The no-see-ums and mosquitos are mean.
4. If you fly Bahama-Air, plan on you flight being delayed. Apparently they are know for delays. So be careful scheduling if you need to have connecting flights.
5. Bring cash. Many place are cash only. This even includes many car rentals.
As for the house, it was in great condition and was well equipped. All we needed to do was stock the fridge. The beach area behind the house was great although the shoreline is somewhat rocky. We were completely alone on the beach the entire time we were there. This gave us the opportunity to do whatever we wanted ;-)