About Newport Beach
From the beach to the nature preserve to the vintage seaside neighborhoods, upscale Newport Beach has plenty to offer travelers. Newport Beach boasts the biggest recreational harbor on the West Coast. If you’d rather skip the traditional hotel route, a large selection of Newport Beach vacation rentals makes it easy to retreat here for a quick weekend or a long week. Here’s why this beach town should be on your travel wish list.
Introduction to Newport BeachLocated in Orange County in Southern California, Newport Beach has been a vacation hotspot since the early 20th century. This area tends to attract upscale travelers and is best known for its seaside appeal, gorgeous ocean views, charming neighborhoods, and watersports.
Newport Beach ClimateDue to its location on the Pacific Ocean, the Newport Beach area maintains a Mediterranean climate. In the winter, high temperatures average 65 degrees, while highs top out around 75 degrees in the summer months. Since temperatures are relatively consistent year-round, Newport Beach is a vacation destination in any season.
Catch Some Rays on Newport BeachNewport Beach has nearly 10 miles of Pacific coastline, with spots for swimming, sunbathing, and surfing. Catch the big waves and marvel at the surfers at The Wedge, soak up the rays on the soft sand at Newport Beach, and get close around the fire pits at Corona del Mar State Beach. The entire stretch of beach is open to the public, and there are several parking lots and metered areas along the beach.
Ferry Over to Balboa IslandThough you can reach quaint Balboa Island by bridge, taking the ferry has been a tradition for over 100 years. On Balboa Island you’ll find numerous beach-themed souvenir shops as well as cafés specializing in healthy fare. Enjoy the daily catch, and wash it down with a Frozen Banana, a local favorite. On your way back to the ferry, visit Balboa Village, a seaside fun park with plenty of fair food favorites.
Visit the Upper Newport Bay Nature Preserve and Ecological ReserveNewport Beach boasts plenty of natural beauty, and the Upper Newport Bay Ecological Reserve is one of the best places to immerse yourself. This 750-acre reserve features mudflats, salt marshes, and a variety of marine habitats. Visitors can spot waterfowl in the mudflats and fish in the shallow waters before exploring the bluffs of the neighboring Nature Preserve.
AttractionsNewport Beach house rentals are available online and by owner at Vacation Home Rentals. Choose a rental located within easy travel to the many attractions located in Newport Beach.
- Beaches: Newport Beach, CA, offers 10 miles of exquisite coastline, ideal for a variety of family activities. Whether your family prefers building sandcastles and beachcombing or surfing and swimming, you’ll find an abundance of spots to enjoy the sand and water. Corona del Mar State Beach sits at the east entrance of Newport Harbor. You’ll find sandy beaches, perfect for a day in the sun. Crystal Cove State Park offers bluffs, coves, hiking trails, and an underwater park for scuba divers and snorkelers to explore.
- Newport Pier: Step out of one of the many Newport Beach apartments for rent and take a stroll on Newport Pier to see the sights along the coast. At the end of the pier, look north to see Huntington Beach and to the south you will see Balboa Pier. The Newport Pier area also offers biking and skating trails, with equipment rentals along the coast.
- Whale-Watching: Blue whales frequent the waters off Newport Beach during the summer and autumn. During the winter and spring, whale-watchers can spot gray whales. Charter boats venture out to watch the whales, dolphins, and seals frolicking in the sea.
- Sports Activities: Golfers can enjoy championship golf courses at Newport Beach. The courses are situated just off the coast with picturesque views of the ocean. Any family members wishing to learn the sport of surfing can get their feet wet in one of the Newport Beach surf schools. If cycling is on the family’s to-do list, you can rent bicycles and surreys to see the city.
- Newport Beach Farmers’ Market: Sundays are the day to fill the refrigerator of your Newport Beach rental with bountiful goodness fresh from the Newport Beach Farmer’s Market. Stop by the Lido Marina Village to find luscious fruits and vegetables grown fresh by local farmers.
EventsWhen planning your trip, book your Newport Beach rentals at a time when you can attend an annual event planned for the city.
- Newport Beach Film Festival: Save the date and book one of the Newport Beach rental homes so you can attend the Newport Beach Film Festival. The film festival occurs at the end of April and proudly exhibits a diverse assortment of classic and contemporary films the entire family would enjoy.
- Kring & Chung Newport Beach Triathlon: Any triathletes in the family won’t want to miss the Kring & Chung Newport Beach Triathlon, held in October of every year. Beginners and experienced athletes enjoy this popular race with a variety of distances available for every participant.
- Newport Beach Christmas Boat Parade: Ring in the festivity of the Christmas season by attending the Newport Beach Christmas Boat Parade, held during the third week of December. Enjoy viewing the Christmas lights and decorated boats at several different viewing locations, many near Newport Beach vacation rentals.
- Lobsterfest at Newport Beach: Lobsterfest celebrates summer in August of every year with a beach party fundraiser event. Enjoy entertainment and mouth-watering seafood while the kids run and play on the beach.