Sanibel Island Vacation Rentals & Cottages - 570 Rentals Available
570 Vacation rentals
Sanibel Island Condo
- 1 bedroom 1
- 1 bathroom
- sleeps 4 4
- 7 nights min
- Beach/lakeside relaxation
- Swimming pool
- Ask about children
from $501.00 / night
Sanibel Island Condo
- 2 bedrooms 2
- 2 bathrooms
- sleeps 6 6
- min stay varies
- Beach/lakeside relaxation
- Swimming pool
- Child friendly
Page 1 of 151
About Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island Travel Tips
- Boat Cruises: Venture out onto the Gulf waters on a boat cruise. You can enjoy a narrated tour to experience the beauty and learn about the area. The Sanibel Thriller embarks from the Sanibel Marina. Expect to spot marine wildlife such as dolphins and blue herons while you’re out.
- Sports: Sports activities abound in the Sanibel Island area. Rent bikes to tour the area on two wheels. Kayak and canoe rental is also available. Explore the water on a stand-up paddle board and get exercise at the same time. Golfers can enjoy Sanibel Island’s scenic courses, with ocean views while you navigate the courses.
- Beach Activities: Shelling on the beach is a popular activity on Sanibel Island. Step out of one of the luxurious Sanibel Island vacation rentals to enjoy a pristine beach. The island boasts over 400 different shell species, making it a premier spot for finding rare beauties. Sanibel’s geographic location makes it ideal for shelling. You might even find the coveted conch shell on the beaches of Sanibel.
- Shops and Galleries: Visit the many art galleries and shops on Sanibel Island. You’ll find driftwood and shell art native to the area. Shops and galleries also feature oil and watercolor paintings, pottery, glass, and jewelry handcrafted from local artists.
- Island Hopper Songwriter Fest: In late September and early October, Sanibel Island hops with the Island Hopper Songwriter Fest. Book one of the Sanibel Island house rentals and attend free music shows scheduled over two weekends. Get to know bands and artists in this laid-back, intimate setting.
- National Public Lands Day: Sanibel Island celebrates National Public Lands Day in late September. Explore the island on a guided hike, attend recycled craft programs, and watch a showing of “Addicted to Plastic” to learn about the dangers of disposable plastic bottles in the ocean.
- Ding Darling Days: Visit Sanibel Beach in October for a week of Ding Darling Days. Sanibel Island vacation rentals provide easy access to the beach events. With a focus on ecology and the environment, you can enjoy family activities such as kayaking tours, tram tours, wildlife presentations, and a conservation art day.
- Luminary Night: Celebrate the holiday season at Sanibel Island’s Luminary Night. Held each year during the first weekend in December, merchants along Periwinkle Way line the street with paper bag luminaries. Enjoy refreshments and extended shopping hours to spread holiday cheer.
- New Year’s Eve: Ring in the New Year on Sanibel Island. Spread a blanket and sit on the Lighthouse Beach for a clear view of fireworks over the Gulf set off in nearby Fort Myers, FL. The Sanibel Recreation Center plans a night of family fun on New Year’s Eve with activities for the entire family to enjoy.
Sanibel Island provides the perfect spot to relax and enjoy the natural beauty of Florida. With soft, warm surf and some of the best shelling you'll find, this small community seaside paradise will become a favorite destination. Sanibel Island vacation rentals not only provide the perfect getaway, they help visitors imagine what it would be like to own a little slice of perfection.
Things to DoBeach life is the main draw of this town. Unlike many of Florida's beach communities, this one still has a quiet appeal. The crystal clear waters provide new treasures daily with some of the best shelling in Florida, while the powdery sands and gentle surf make most beach goers' dream vacations a reality. The Sanibel Island lighthouse is also a top draw as well as the J.N. (Ding) Darling National Wildlife Refuge. The Herb Strauss Schoolhouse Theatre is an unexpected gem in this seaside community.
TransitWhile most people arrive by car (there is a steep toll of $6 on the Sanibel Island Causeway Bridge so people don't just come to look around for a few minutes), Sanibel is the type of community that once you are there you can walk and bike everywhere you need to go. The roads and drivers are biker friendly with bike paths and bike rental shops everywhere. The low speed limits on the island also make bikers and pedestrians feel more comfortable around automobiles.
A car allows you to leave your Sanibel Island vacation rental and explore Captiva and nearby Ft. Meyers and Ft. Meyers Beach, with its much more raucous and livelier nightlife and beach front bars that draw a young crowd.
ClimateSanibel Island boasts plenty of warm weather year round. It's not uncommon for temps to stay in the 70s throughout most of the winter, with 50s as the lows. Summer temps soar into the high 80s to low 90s but there's generally a breeze along the coast. Sanibel Island, like most islands in Florida, has strict evacuation rules for non-residents during hurricanes, so if you want to avoid this, it's best to plan your trip outside of the most active parts of the season from July-September.
EventsLife on the island is the kind of quiet that most people long for and it's not the type of area that brings a lot of spring breakers. However, in March, the island is host to the Sanibel Music Festival but it's not the kind of festival to attract a lot of tour busses and cult followings. This music festival focuses on classical music with a week of exquisite music concerts at reasonable prices.
ShoppingSanibel Island doesn't have a big suburban mall but it does have Periwinkle Way with the shopping areas of Periwinkle Place and Tahitian Garden. These collections of stores offer a number of charming souvenirs and tributes to the casual island lifestyle.
Life on Sanibel Island is deliciously laid back and different from the usual busy beach towns. A Sanibel Island vacation rental allows you to enjoy the island lifestyle without paying the price tag of ownership in paradise.
What is Travelers’ Choice award?
Tripadvisor gives a Travelers’ Choice award to accommodations, attractions and restaurants that consistently earn great reviews from travellers and are ranked within the top 10% of properties on Tripadvisor.