Lake Lanier Travel Tips
A 45-minute drive north of Atlanta, GA, is beautiful Lake Sidney Lanier. Surrounded by parks and dotted with island beaches, it's a multipurpose lake that's popular year-round. On a Lake Lanier vacation for the family, you can revel in North Georgia's natural beauty - made famous when it hosted the '96 Olympic canoe and kayak events - while taking advantage of everything the Atlanta area has to offer.
Start your family vacation with a Lake Lanier cabin rental. There are plenty of inviting options for Lake Lanier rental homes, so it's easy to find a good fit for a comfortable home base for your family. Rent online today!
About the Area
Lake Lanier offers nearly 700 miles of shoreline and is bordered by five North Georgia counties and a few Atlanta metro-area cities, including Scoutland, Gainesville, Oakwood, Buford, and Cumming. Those aren't the only areas in easy reach when you choose Lake Lanier rentals by owner, either. Take a day trip to explore Duluth's historic downtown, tour antebellum homes in Roswell, or enjoy nostalgic driving tours in Senoia. North Georgia has lots of delights for families to delve into!
Of course, the bonus to Lake Lanier vacation rentals is Atlanta itself. Downtown offers concerts, sports, family-friendly museums, and, of course, the aquarium. Midtown is home to theater, festivals, a botanical garden, and an interactive puppetry museum. While Buckhead is geared less toward family and more toward chic millenials, east of downtown offers more museums that may be of interest. Metro Atlanta is brimming with destinations that are sure to make lasting memories.
Lake Lanier home rentals let you save on family vacations, making room for that much more fun. With so much of North Georgia at your fingertips, the options are endless. Start planning your vacation with these great ideas to make the most of your Lake Lanier rentals:
Beaches, Parks, and Adventure
- Gainesville Parks and Recreation: Maintains 19 parks on 443 acres, featuring playgrounds, indoor amenities and more. Check their offices at City Park for details.
- Georgia Lake Fishing: Open year-round, Wes Carlton guides fishing trips day and night!
- Lake Lanier Islands boating: Rent day boats, yachts, pontoons, or tubing and water-skiing equipment and launch from Harbor Landing to enjoy 30,000 aquatic acres.
- Mulberry Creek Park and Community Center: On 22 acres, it features a playground, dog park, two full-size basketball gymnasiums, and an indoor fitness center with an elevated walking track.
- North Georgia Canopy Tours: Not for the faint of heart, this three-hour tour gives a close-up and fly-by tour of the local vistas, covering sky bridges and crossing over ponds and even the North Oconee River.
Atlanta Family Fun
- Center for Puppetry Arts: Open Tuesday through Saturday, it features hands-on workshops, colorful exhibits, and performances throughout the day.
- Georgia Aquarium: Rotating exhibits like Sea Monsters Revealed and Animal Encounters are sure to catch kids' attention. If Mom and Dad need a date night, there's also SeaNights - adults only.
- Imagine it! Children's Museum: Geared toward little ones ages eight and younger, interactive, hands-on exhibits, games and group activities are sure to be a blast.
- Six Flags Over Georgia and LEGOLAND Discovery Center Atlanta keep the fun going all day long with rides, 4-D cinema, games, and more. Don't be surprised if the kids don't want to head back to the Lake Lanier cabin rentals!
Metro Atlanta and Lake Sidney Lanier feature seasonal events year-round
. In spring, there's the Colors Festival of Arts or the silly fun of the Bacon Chase 5K. In winter, there are art showings like Masterworks on the Move and the Winter Exhibition or the chilly annual Polar Plunge, with prizes and a costume contest. Throughout the summer, there are concert series and even the annual Brenau Barbecue Championship.
Food & Shopping
Shop 'til you drop at Gainsville Square or Victory Lane, or take a stop over at The Branch and the Nautical Mile. There are plenty of delicious waterfront eateries in Lake Lanier as well such as Pelican Petes, Pig Tales, and Skogies.
No matter when you choose to visit, Lake Lanier cabin rentals will make every trip unique!