Jay Peak, VT Travel Tips
Jay, Vermont is a small, scenic ski and golf town (thanks to Jay Peak Resort) located at the very top of Vermont in Orleans county and borders Quebec, Canada to the north. For the winter-sport-loving family, Jay Peak, VT, is the perfect vacation spot! As part of the Green Mountains, Jay Peak is one of the most beautiful points in the northern U.S. For families visiting Jay Peak, vacation rentals from Vacation Home Rentals are the best choice for several reasons. Jay Peak house rentals allow larger families the comfort, privacy, and convenience of your own home. For smaller families, a Jay Peak condo rental is the perfect way to experience the area. Jay Peak rentals are known to fill up fast, especially in the winter months, so make sure to book your reservation with us online in advance to save time.
Although public transportation is available, tourists staying in Jay Peak condo rentals will find it much more convenient to rent a car. Because so many of Jay Peak’s attractions are located off of the mountain and around the region, families will need a reliable car to experience them all. Rental cars are available from several local businesses.
Things to do
Outdoor sports are the main attraction of the Jay Peak region! From skiing the gorgeous slopes of Jay Peak to spending a day dog-sledding or kayaking, this region has activities for every part of the year.
- Skiing is the #1 attraction in the Jay Peak area! As part of the Green Mountains, visitors can expect beautiful views and great conditions. Jay Peak is the center of the universe of Northern Vermont. A four season attraction, Jay Peak has dozens of trails and world-class skiing and snowbaording as well as a year round water park, NHL ice arena, and championship golf course.
- Adventure Tours in the Jay Peak region include dog-sledding, kayaking, fishing, snowshoeing, and much more!
- The Jay Peak Pump House is an indoor water park that is perfect for families after a long day at the slopes. Jacuzzis, water slides, surf pools and more await you at this indoor, heated park.
Fun With Kids
Kids visiting Jay Peak will have much more to do than ski! There are many nearby kid-friendly attractions for every season, including a giant corn maze, natural swimming holes, and an ice cream factory tour.
- Swimming Holes: Located throughout Vermont are several natural swimming holes. One beautiful spot is located at Four Corners in North Troy.
- Ben & Jerry’s Factory Tour: Who doesn’t love ice cream? This 30-minute tour of the Waterbury, VT, factory is educational and fun for all ages.
- The Great Vermont Corn Maze: Popular for more than 15 years, The Great Vermont Corn Maze is located on a third-generation dairy farm in North Danville, VT. Each year’s maze is completely different than the last, and visitors can also tour a barnyard and interact with the animals.
Visitors checking out Jay Peak rentals might be surprised to learn that spring and summer are some of the most eventful times of the year! The Vermont Maple Festival is the perfect way to sample some of the most delicious maple syrup in the country, while the Annual Jay Summer Fest is a great introduction to the area.
- Jay Challenge (July): This adventure race plus triathalon brings thousands of visitors to Jay every year. Participants compete in this three day event that includes a 26 mile kayak race, 30 mile run over rough terrain, and a 65 mile leg of mountain biking.
- Jay Peak Trail Running Challenge (September): Choose between three 5k's, a 25k or the ultimate 50k ultra trail race. There is also a kids' race.
- The Annual Jay Summer Fest (August): This event includes arts and crafts, a parade, local food, and much more.
- The Vermont Maple Festival (April): Located about an hour away in St. Albans, VT, this festival dedicated to Vermont’s tastiest export, maple syrup, is sure to be a hit with visitors.
There are a few areas in Jay worth stopping in for some food or drink after your trip down the slopes. The Jay Village Inn serves up the classics for a lunch to remember, and represents quintessential Vermont cuisine. The Foundry is another popular spot for apres ski meals. Book a reservation at Alice's Table for your group, and if you're in the mood for a pizza, Mountain Dick's Pizza has your quick fix and is always piping hot.